17 May 2012

"MOMumental" by Jennifer Grant


  One mom’s humorous and candid memoir shows would-be supermoms how to create a realistically balanced family life without losing their minds.A longtime former writer for the Chicago Sun-Times and now a columnist for the Chicago Tribune, Jennifer Grant is no stranger to the common reader. MOMumental is a foray into the enormously amusing, creative, and taxing process of raising a family and a starkly honest memoir that mothers everywhere can identify with. With narrative that is chock-full of humorous, poignant stories drawn from her everyday adventures as a mother and wife, Grant presents an entertaining and inspirational book that will give readers uncommon insights about being an intentional parent.

Publisher: Worthy Publishing

Publication date: 5/8/2012

Pages: 224


My Take:

I have to say I have never read a book that I thought was written just for me! I'm positive this one was! Granted I haven't went through all the things the moms in this book have yet (because my 4 kids are all under the age of 5) but I'm sure they'll come to me eventually. I actually titled this blog "Super Mom Sam" because of the feeling I always got to be this "supermom", and then I realized that NO MOM, is a perfect mom regardless of how much your competitive mom friends make you think they are! BUT...we are each supermoms in our own way! This book is all about that and I enjoyed each and every page of it! One of my favorite parts was when a mother had a "tantrum" while cleaning up her daughter's toys, the little girl began to say something "bratty" to the mother when she accidently snapped and slammed what she was holding to the floor only to see that it was her 5 year olds favorite doll- who now had a broken neck :(    and even years later she remembers that incident and regretted her uncontrolable outburst that made her feel terrible guilt. I have yet to break a toy but I have had those times that you feel absolutely horrible after you yell at your child for doing something bad and then feel like you "over-snapped"! The point is we have to stop making these unattainable goals to be perfect and worry more about making our house a home and a fun, comfortable and safe place to all live together and enjoy each other! I had never heard of Jennifer Grant before reading this but I must say I'm glad I took interest in it because she knocked it out of the park when it comes to the trials of parenting! Finally a parenting book that is realistic and humorous! If you are a parent or want to become one I highly recommend "MOMumental".  I would rate it 5/5 stars!  

 MOMumental is available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and wherever books are
sold.


About the Author
     Jennifer Grant is mother to four children and author of Love You More: The Divine
Surprise of Adopting My Daughter (2011). For more than a decade she wrote for papers in
the Sun-Times newsgroup. Currently she freelances for the Chicago Tribune and is a
regular contributor to hermeneutics, Christianity Today magazine's blog for women. Grant
is a Wheaton College graduate who received her master's in English and Creative Writing
from Southern Methodist University. She lives outside of Chicago, IL.


Enter the Giveaway Below to win your own copy of MOMumental!
Rules: Open to U.S. 18+
May enter daily
Giveaway ends on May 31, 2012 at 11:59 PM, ET
ONE Winner will be chosen randomly and listed on this post


Disclaimer: This post was written for the sponsor who provided  the complimentay product for review in exchange for my honest opinions. They have also provided the giveaway prize.


1 comment:

  1. An excellent review. I’ve read this book too and I agree, I love Jennifer Grant’s honest, conversational style. Reading it felt like listening to a good friend, who gave me permission to not only embrace the chaos of motherhood but also to be intentional about the things that really matter. What a great book. I also love Jennifer's blog at http://jennifergrant.com

    ReplyDelete